Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Our World: Red Sea Octopus Mosaic


This outdoor mosaic - one of dozens - graces the outer wall of King Abdulaziz University, Girls College, here in Jeddah.  The mosaics were made by students years ago.  Some have fallen into disrepair but many have withstood the test of time.  This one I found particularly interesting because of the 3-D octopus design.  Many of the mosaics follow a nautical theme, while others chose other themes like geometric, religious, floral, or people.  I'll be posting a few more of my favorites in upcoming posts, so stay tuned!




Be sure to visit OUR WORLD TUESDAY, where family-friendly bloggers share a unique glimpse into what life is like all around our ever-amazing planet.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing mural! Love the tiles.

Anonymous said...

This is truly beautiful!

Dana said...

Really beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen a 3-D mural before.

Happy Tuesday. ☺

Karen said...

You have the most interesting sculptures Jeddah!

Fun60 said...

I really like the mosaic especially the 3D effect. It makes it so tactile.

Jerry Mc Kenna said...

I like the combination of mosaic with the odd sea creature.

Anna said...

So beautiful and very interesting sculpture, Susie!
Love it...
Warm greetings from Holland,
Anna :))

chai-and-chardonnay.blogspot.com said...

I like the colors in the mural.How old were the girls who did it?

Susie of Arabia said...

Hi Chai & Chardonnay - I'm guessing that the girls who made the mosaics were students at the university - so they would be 18-22 yrs.

Hilda said...

These three mosaics are all wonderful! I like all of them, but I think I like the dance mosaic the best too.

Photo Cache said...

very nice. i like mosaics a lot.